Sunday, October 23, 2005

Sunday Song Blogging

This is going to be a regular feature for this site. I'm sure you've seen the random playlists that come out on Friday. Well, I listen to music a bit differently than that. Doesn't work for me. So what I'm going to do, is take one random song each week out of my playlist, and basically criticize, not so much the coolness, but the interesting bits of the song.

This weeks song is Bullet With Butterfly Wings by The Smashing Pumpkins.

Yes, that "World is a vampire" song. This is a song I used to hate with a passion. Over the time, I've grown to like it. Especially live. The song is one of those great live songs of all time.

Why I have the song:I have the entire box set The Aeroplane Flies High ripped. TSP are one of the kings of the b-sides. Pennies, Rotten Apples, Set the Ray to Jerry, Pistacio Medley. Wonderful stuff. (I also have Mellon Collie and the Infiniate Sadness ripped, but that's not as interesting)

Lyrics:These are lyrics that to be honest are kind of ahead of their time. At the time, they kinda went over everybodies head, thinking it was typical "pre-emo" type whining. But it's a bit more than that. In the face of the ugliness of the music industry, and especially the problems they had trying to get Friends and Enemies of Modern Music released, (they eventually just threw it out into the world to be shared), it kinda makes sense. In fact, the ultimate TSP DVD, the 40-song final concert at the Chicago Metro, is locked up because of the problems with Virgin. Such a shame.

But I digress.

"But can you fake it...for just one more show...and what do you want...I want to change, what do you got...when you feel the same..even though I know..I suppose I'll show all my cool and gold..like a dove"

The whole song is about the musical industry. They wanted another Simease Dream, down to the note structure. Corgan wanted no part of that. In the end, it's why you have metal songs like Zero next to piano instrumentals like MCIS, or the orchastral bombast of "Tonight, Tonight". Variety is good for you.

As a side note, as it turns out, the reason for the disbanding of TSP was that the secondary guitarist, Iha, refused to expand the band for live performances, to take them further. And there's a planned reformation of TSP, without that limitation. Again, probably in the style of the final Metro Concert.

Sound:I'll be honest. This is one of the smoothest sounding songs I've ever heard in my life. The production of this song, the quality of the sound is amazing. The opening bass/faux accoustic riff is amazing. I'm not a big fan of the harder sections of this song. The drumming is solid and driving. There's an underlying accoustic sound as well that's amazing. This is a very well put together song. I miss the fret strums from the live versions however.

Problems:I don't like the harder parts of the song nearly as much. It tends to be rather on the boring side. But that's about it.

Rating:7/10.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home